Timeline of Headteachers
St. Margaret’s has been owned and led by lots of headteachers over 75 years since it was founded.
1946 – Mrs Lowe and Commander Lowe owned Gosfield Hall, applied for planning permission to convert the stables into residencies and a school. Opened the school for their two daughters, Margaret and Elizabeth, and 8 other pupils.
1961-1988 – Mr Colbourn bought the school from the Lowes. It continued as a co-educational day school for children aged 4-11 years of age with more than 100 pupils. Boys, reaching a sufficiently high standard, could remain at the school until 12 or 13 to take scholarship or Common Entrance examinations.
1988-1993 – Mr Williams bought the school when Mr Colbourn retired. He had most of the outbuildings built including the hall, boys changing rooms and music pods (originally science and art rooms). His wife owned donkeys!
1993-1996 – Mr Dan became Headteacher and his wife Mrs Dan was the music teacher, producing some incredible school productions.
1996-2011 – Mrs Boyton-Corbett was the last headteacher to live on site. She sold the school to Cognita in 2008, then under the leadership of Chris Woodhead, former head of OFSTED.
2011-2016 – Mrs Powling had worked at the school for years before becoming Headteacher.
2016-2020 – Mr Douglas, two of sons were pupils.
2020-present – Mrs Moss joined the school in 2004 as a Year 6 maths teacher.
Published on: 5th February 2021